HistoryNindigilly Pub is Queensland's oldest hotel located in its original condition and position on the banks of the Moonie River. The license was issued in 1864 after operating as shearer's accommodation for the Nindigully Station.
The Gully, as it's affectionately known, brewed its own beer and spirits before XXXX and Bundaberg Rum even existed. Today the boom town of approximately 50 people and 15 houses of the early 1900s have been reduced to two houses, the pub, the old General Store and the Town Hall with a population of six!
The Gully is a must see for Australian history buffs as you can feel it all around you from the original buildings to the traditional farming lands.
About the Owner
In June 1876 the license was transferred to James Rogers and the name changed to the Travellers' Rest Hotel.
March 1880 saw the name changed again to the Sportsman's Arms Hotel & the license transferred to William Reynolds.
September 1885 the license was transferred to William Mitchell.
In 1888 James Halligan became the licensee.
July 1890 the license was transferred to Hugh Mackay.
May 1892 the license was transferred to William Billington.
May 1893 Christopher Noud became the licensee.
June 1899 Robert James Campbell held the license.
October 1903 John Sparkes (or Sparks) held the license until- In May 1911 then Mary Ann Haines became the licensee & changed the name to the Grand Hotel.
7th March 1921 Frank Crain became the licensee.
7th June 1922 Amelia Crain was authorized to trade owing to the death of Frank Crain.
5th July 1922 license transferred to Amelia Crain.
14th July 1923 license reverted to Mary Anne Haines.
26th November 1927 Laurence J Sternes became the licensee & on the 13th March 1929 the name was changed to Sternes Hotel.
9th March 1954 Darcy Colin Sternes was nominated to conduct the Hotel under section 33 of the Liquor Act.
License was transferred to him on 24th September 1959.
6th March 1961 Charles Karel Kotyza became the licensee and on the 14th of Sept 1961 the premises became the Nindigully Hotel.
21st August 1964 license was transferred to Edna May Benstead, following her death the license was granted to Barry Maxwell Benstead on 14th December 1964, under provision of section 33 of the Liquor Act.
28th September 1965,Mrs Peggy Mayes became the licensee.
21st June 1974 license transferred to George Angus Mcleod.
10th August 1976 license transferred to Arthur George Edwards.
10th August 1989 Raymond John Nuske became the licensee of the Nindigully Hotel.
12th January 1998 Bev & Les Schirmer became the licensee's.
26th August 2002 Bin Drinkin Pty/Ltd. Owner/ Nominee Steve Burns became the current licensee of the Nindigully Pub. The Burn's family is the 21st family to own the Nindigully Hotel.